Salon Customer Retention Secrets
Want some secrets on keeping salon customers for LIFE?
And when you get them, by Goodness, you do everything in your power to keep them from slipping away.
But what you might not realize yet is that based on the value of your cosmetology skills alone, you won’t keep them over the long run. Sure, you might keep them for a few months or a year or two, but VALUE alone won’t give you customers for life.
Salon Plaza’s 3 Best Secrets for Keeping Salon Customers for Life
If you look around at the established, most successful salon professionals, you’ll find they have clients who have been with them for five, ten, even twenty years or more. Some of our Salon Plaza Members tell me that a few of their very first clients are still with them… 30 years later.
You don’t get to this kind of loyalty by being lucky. You CAN build these lasting relationship by cultivating a few “less-than-obvious” qualities.
Here are 3 things you should be doing right now to help you keep your customers for LIFE:
1. Make your clients eager for their next appointment
This takes a combination of qualities and actions –
- A warm, genuine welcome
- One-to-one attention
- Being a good listener and NOT GOSSIPING (be trustworthy!)
- A skilled consultation – each time
Get to know the specifics of what each client wants and likes, and remember each time. Taking notes during the appointment and a quick review before the consult really helps!
Have a GOAL for their health and beauty and mark the progress between appointments. Talk about what will happen at the next appointment…
Give this some thought – I’m sure you can add to the list. Or for a little help, check out 10 Things You Can In 10 Minutes To Grow
Think you might be ready to OWN IT? Find out – take our Salon Owner Success Quiz!
2. Keep your clients involved, active and responsive between appointments
The best way to do this is through a combination of 1) social media, 2) email follow-up, and 3) direct mail.
1) Social media can eat up your time. Compare your time spent with actual results – meaning, getting more customers in your chair more often. Click to discover how to Market on Facebook w/o Wasting Time and $$$.
2) With email, using an automatic email follow-up system is your best option. You can include sending automatic text and voice messaging in this bucket. Here’s how to Create Email Magic.
3) If you totally rely on the web to interact with your clients, you are missing the best part: “touchable” follow-up. How often do you receive something other than a BILL in the mail?
A hand-written letter once or twice a year would delight your clients.
HOT TIP: Use Invitation Marketing to set yourself apart from the rest.
The point is, to keep your clients LOYAL to YOU, stay in touch between appointments!
3. Get “famous” with your target market
To build the kind of relationships that last, you must deliberately and creatively use personality to build your celebrity—and your following. What is unique about you? What can you bring forward about your one-of-a-kind qualities?
Here are two Salon Plaza Members who succeed in this strategy – in ways that couldn’t be more distinct.
If you want some help figuring out how to turn your personality into an appealing BRAND, check out:
- Beauty Professionals Success Tips: 6 Principles to Live By to Grow Your Base
- How Oxon Hill Salon Owner Turns Temporary Studio into Lifetime Success
- Let Salon Plaza’s Members Guide You to Success – Follow This Recipe
Feel like you are ready for more freedom? Then OWN IT!
Here’s what Wanda Berry, former owner of a 12 chair traditional salon, has to say after she opened her salon in a Salon Plaza Studio:
“As a Salon Plaza Member, you can be independent, set your own standards, and regulate your own hours… without having the responsibility of a big space. With my studio salon, I focus on myself and my own clientele. It’s a wonderful place to do what I love to do.”
See if what you have right now can give you what you need for your future –