You are unique. There is no one who can do what you do, just the way you do it.
As the owner of a new salon, one of the most important decisions you will make is what to name your new salon. You will have much more flexibility in choosing your salon name if you add a winning tagline.
Now, more than ever, your ability to make a profit will get challenged – with heated-up competition to offer LOWER prices in a downward dance to the bottom.
BUT… you can actually RAISE your prices without losing customers! If you have the right tools.
In this article “Salon Pricing Strategies: What Salon Owners Don’t Know About Price… And if YOU knew, it would truly change your fortunes” – Salon Plaza gives you the tools you need to avoid competing on price… ever… no matter what city or town you work in.
Just click on the live link – it’s FREE!
Now about that tagline…
Your tagline is a short phrase or slogan that captures your brand essence, personality, and strengths to distinguish you from your competitors.
By being yourself, you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before. Crucial to your salon’s success and longevity, your tagline tells and sells your unique brand story.
The way to attract lots of clients is to answer this question for your prospects…
“Why should I choose YOU over all the rest?”
Need help answering this essential survival question? That’s why we created our Ultimate Guide for Beauty Professionals:
These Keys to Success will help you to carve out a distinct image and unique position in your marketplace. And find your tagline!
Your tagline is part of your marketing message –
It will appear on your business cards, your signage, and your brochures — All marketing materials. It can also be part of your conversation with prospective customers. Your tagline can even be more important than your salon name.
To see what I mean, try to think of an established brand without remembering its tagline. It’s nearly impossible!
- Maxwell House – “Good to the last drop”
- Nike – “Just Do It”
- FedEx – “When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight”
- Wheaties – “The Breakfast of Champions”
- Dominoes Pizza – “Fresh, hot pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less, guaranteed”
Taglines can change when the outside world changes. For instance, Dominoes had to drop their famous tagline when it resulted in too many traffic accidents!
A great tagline tells your unique story –
The tagline’s goal is to help you become the salon of choice for your preferred customers. It must be readable in small print. If you can trademark it then you can protect it. Descriptive and simple taglines don’t just come out of thin air. They grow out of a creative and thoughtful process.
Here are 5 of my best tips on how to write winning taglines that help you stand out from all the rest:
1. Choose a descriptive phrase that clarifies what you do. Your tagline will describe you to new customers who don’t know you yet. It will make sense and “sound right” to your current clients as well.
2. Remember: Your tagline is NOT the same as your mission statement. Your tagline seeks to connect outwardly into the marketplace, while your mission statement in inward-focused.
3. Put some distance between your salon and all the rest who compete for your clients. A great tagline shows how you are different from all other salons. What is it that you do better than anyone else on the planet?
This is called your “Unique Selling Proposition”. Your USP is the value you give your clients that make you different from everyone else.
4. Find the most compelling nouns and verbs to describe your USP. Adjectives add a little oomph. You want potential customers to see your tagline and know instantly that you are their best choice.
5. Avoid “buzz-killers” – over used words are easily ignored and quickly forgotten, such as Quality, Service, Commitment, and Excellence. Think of a phrase that creates curiosity.
Try starting with a commanding verb:
Kinko’s: Express Yourself
Use a phrase that makes a promise:
Allstate: You’re in Good Hands
Confer value to your customer:
L’Oreal: Because you’re worth it
Ask a question:
Dairy Council: Got Milk?
Position yourself as the leader:
Minolta: The essentials of imaging
Check If You Have Your Best Tagline By Asking These 9 Basic Questions:
- Is it short?
- Is it unique?
- Does it capture your essence?
- Does it make you stand out from your competitors?
- Is it interesting?
- Does it touch emotions?
- Is it easy to say?
- Is it easy to remember?
- Does it avoid the negative?
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, keep working on it before you set in stone. As your family, friends and clients to help you create your best company tagline.
If you want help to figure out your salon’s greatest virtue or most unique offering – your true USP – sign up for our Ultimate Guide To Salon Owner Success: